Marian Kies, PhD (1915-1988)
THE 2016 RECIPIENT OF THE MARIAN KIES AWARD IS:
University of Alabama at Birmingham
The Marian Kies Memorial Award is presented to a junior scientist for outstanding research conducted during graduate training. The award is named in memory of Marian Kies who devoted much of her energy and enthusiasm to fostering the development of young scientists. The award consists of a $1,500 cash prize and the opportunity to organize a symposium at the ASN Annual Meeting being held the year following presentation of the award.
Past Recipients of the Marian Kies Memorial Award
- Ph.D. or thesis awarded within 2 years prior to the closing date for nominations
- Ph.D. dissertation research of exceptional quality in the field of neuroscience
- Nominee must submit an abstract to the Annual Meeting for the year of their nomination
- Nominee must reside in the Western Hemisphere, which according to ASN's Standing Rules is defined as Canada, North America, Central America, South America, US Possessions and the Caribbean
NOMINATION/APPLICATION MATERIALS TO BE SUBMITTED:
- Letter of recommendation from nominee's Ph.D. advisor and one other appropriate senior scientist familiar with the nominee's research.
- A summary of the nominee's doctoral research (maximum length of 1 single-spaced page.)
- Curriculum vitae of the nominee, including honors, awards, involvement and activities in scientific societies and a list of all publications. (Sample CV)
- Two peer-reviewed manuscripts, manuscripts in press or manuscripts submitted for publication.
- Copy of text of the abstract submitted to the ASN Annual Meeting. (Please note that you must submit your abstract or presentation using the ASN website according to the instructions for the specific meeting. You will be able to select your submitted in the online application form.)
Please register for the ASN 2017 Meeting in Little Rock, Arkansas, first. After you submit your abstract, you will have access to the online application system. The Marian Kies Memorial Award application can be found under the "submissions" section of the menu.
- The online system form will collect general information and request that you upload, in PDF format, the documents listed above under 2-5. (How to convert MS Word Documents to PDF Documents?). Save online and then view the accuracy of your application. You will be able to edit it until the application process closes
- Upon invitation, letters of recommendation need to be uploaded as PDF files directly from each referee. Your application is finished once both referees have uploaded their letter of recommendation!
NEXT DEADLINE FOR NOMINATION/APPLICATION MATERIALS (INCLUDING SUBMISSION OF LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION!) - January 15, 2017
For questions, contact one of the Co-Chairs of the Marian Kies Memorial Award Committee:
A short biography of Marian Kies